The Department of Chemical Engineering was established in 1944 under the University of Madras. In 1978, the department was transferred to the newly formed Anna University. Research activities in the department were initiated way back in the year 1947 and several pioneering research works was carried out by stalwarts like Dr. G. S. Laddha. Research were carried out in the conventional areas of Chemical Engineering. Now, the areas of research have moved in line with developments in the chemical process industries.
The Department has been receiving financial assistance from various funding agencies like AICTE, UGC, DST, TNSCST, etc., and has successfully completed several research projects.
The Department had been accredited by AICTE as “A” grade and is recognized as DST-FIST Sponsored Department.
The Chemical Engineering Department is the first department in Anna University to be recognized for COSIST and DSA programs by UGC.